Before you bring a puppy home, you should carefully prepare a permanent place for it. Space for your puppy should be limited, fenced off and everything necessary for the puppy’s life should be inside it.
These are the things you need to accommodate a puppy
- Absorbent baby nappy. It should be approximately 50×70 cm.
- A special plastic bed with vent holes at the bottom. Put a fake fur mattress on it. It can come in handy when changing puppy’s place in your house later. It will also double as a portable sleeping place, which has the scent of your home. This is very important for a normal puppy’s sleep in unfamiliar conditions.
- Bowls for food and water. They should not slide around on the floor. You can get bowls that have special rubber stoppers on the bottom. Bowls should be easy to wash. You can use special plastic pallets under the bowls to keep all the dishes together.
- Cozy dog house. If the puppy is less than 3 months old, it is very advisable to buy a lodge for it, which will create a feeling of security and comfort, so that the puppy can hide there. Adult dogs also like these houses. They should be made of natural materials like cotton.
- Toys for the puppy. Ordinary children’s toys will not do because of all sorts of eye-beads and other elements that can be chewed off easily and can injure the puppy’s throat. Toys should be soft. Rubber or latex toys can be used.
Limit puppy’s space for protection
A place for the puppy should be enclosed with suitable materials. You can buy metal garage shelves and make them into a small fence, or you can use a mesh net, but if you do – cover it’s edges with a frame or some soft material so that the animal is not injured. Best decision would be buying a children’s fence that is approximately knee-high in a specialized store. It should be borne in mind that at the age of five months the puppy would be able to jump over the barrier. It is undesirable to equip a place for the puppy directly next to the heating battery. Part of the apartment that you choose for your puppy should be well ventilated.
When you bring your puppy home, it should feel safe and comfortable. We hope that the advice in this article will help you achieve that.